Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Artist Statement

I have always been interested in the history of objects and the trace memories that are invariably left as marks upon them. My current series of work is based on memorial benches and the traces of memories that are burnt into them as evidence of human interaction and temporary ownership.

The placement of such memorial benches prompted me to consider why the bench was put in that particular location and what memories that site holds. Working with these ideas I have created a piece of interactive work influenced by the new wave of street art, looking to place my work within the context of the public space or by drawing influence from it.

The process I use creates juxtaposition between true deep remembrance and fleeting visits exploring the subliminal messages and thoughts that are left all around us as simple marks and wording as well as the weathering of material over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment